Home of 8 Genealogy Websites! Online Images of Wills and Estates in
Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia!
Alleghany County Wills and Estates available to members of Virginia Pioneers
Indexes to Probate Records
- Wills, Inventories, Estates 1822 to 1837
- Wills, Inventories, Estates 1837 to 1849
- Wills, Inventories, Estates 1849 to 1876
Images of Wills, Inventories and Estates 1833 to 1837Names of Testators: Andrews, Adam | Byrd, Thomas | Dawson, James | Douglas, Benjamin |
Diessler, Elizabeth | Fisk, John | Fudge, Mary | Galloway, Benjamin | Glasburn, David | Haggard, Adam | Haggard, David | Hagn, Jennell | Hale, John Sr. | Hansbarger, John | Herbert, William | Hook, Daniel | Humphries, William |
Kean, David | Keyser, David | Kimberlin, Catharine | Kimberlin, James |
Kimberlin, Mary | Kimberlin, Michael | Kincaid, Andrew | Kincaid, John |
Kincaid, Robert | Knox, William | Lewis, John | Lewis, Joseph | Lively, George |
Mallon, Michael | Mann, John | Mann, Sarah | McCall, Thomas | McCallister, John | McCallister, Thomas | Merry, James | Merry, Mary | Milhollin, Patrick |
Miller, Daniel | Morris, Archibald | Moyer, Catharine | Moyers, George |
Neel, John | Nicely, Jacob | Persinger, Henry | Persinger, Moses | Pilyer, George |
Pitzer, Abraham | Pitzer, Bernard | Robinson, James | Skeen, Jonathan | Smith, William | Steele, George Sr. | Taylor, Hugh | Taylor, William | Wallace, Michael |
Wayt, George | Wayt, Mary | Webb, John | Wolf, John | Wolf, Mary |
Wright, Jane Wright, Vincent
Images of Wills 1837 to 1849Names of Testators:
Armontrout, Frederick | Armontrout, George | Avill, Michael | Beals, Charles |
Blinton, John | Booth, William | Bradish, James | Bryan, Hugh | Callaghan, Margaret
Carpenter, Samuel Sr. | Carson, John | Daggs, Hezekiah | Deeds, John | Dew, Lucy |
Dew, William | Dickson, Lot | Erwin, Samuel | Findley, George | Fudge, Conrad |
Griffith, Robert | Haden, Matthew | Hansburger, Jacob | Harmon, Peter |
Jackson, Abel | Keyser, Keziah | Kimbelton, Nancy | Kimberlin, Mary |
Kincaid, Angelina | Kincaid, Archibald M. | Kincaid, Robert M. | Kincaid, William D. |
Kindle, James | Lane, Mary | Lassiter, John | Leighton, John | Lemon, Conrad |
Lively, George | Lively, Harrison | Lively, Jonathan | Lockhart, David |
Mallon or Mallow, Christina | Mallon, Michael | Massie, Henry | Mayfair, Henry |
McAllister, Thomas | Morrison, David | Payne, Charles C. | Pennel, Joseph |
Persinger, Jacob Sr. | Persinger, James | Pitzer, Abraham | Quickel, Henry |
Reynolds, James | Reynolds, John | Richardson, John | Sanders, Thomas |
Scott, Andrew M. | Scott, A. W. | Scott, Elizabeth | Scott, George |
Scott, Michael | Simmons, Ephraim | Skeen, William | Starnes, Jacob |
Taylor, James M. | Way, Charles | Williams, H. | Williams, John |
Wolf, George | Wolf, Jacob | Wolf, Sampson
Images of Wills, Estates, Inventories 1849 to 1876Names of Testators:
Allen, John | Anitt, James | Armortrout, Catharine | Armstrong, William R. |
Avitt, Joanna | Beaver, Jane | Beck, Richard | Bennett, Jacob | Bennet, William |
Bowzer, David | Bowzer, John | Brown, Samuel | Callaghan, Charles | Carson, George | Carson, John Jr. | Cassidy, Mary | Clark, William J. | Clark, William L. |
Cosley, Martin | Cowan, Jonas | Crow, Amanda | Dagg, Catharine | Dawson, Joseph
Denshoo, John | Dickey, L. D. | Dresebell, Peter | Durber, Levi | Findley, John |
Fridley, Thomas | Fudge, Conrad | Fudge, Martha | Gibbons, William | Gilbert, David A. | Gilliland, Henry | Given, David | Groce, Jacob | Hammond, G. W., Dr. | Hansbarger, Jacob | Hansbarger, John H. | Hansbarger, Sebastian | Hardy, John |
Harmon, Anthony | Harmon, Christopher | Harmon, George H. | Harmon, George W. |
Harmon, Henry | Harris, Henry | Harrison, Joseph | Havitt, Joanna | Hefter, Joseph | Hepler, David | Heplin, John | Howes, George P. | Hook, Stephen | Humphries, Jesse | Humphries, Oliver | Jackson, Andrew G. | Jackson, Crofferd | Jackson, Jesse J. | Jennell, Mamith | Johnson, Bernard | Johnson, William | Kaines, William |
Karnes, Michael | Karnes, Sampson | Kean, Samuel | Keyes, John D.
Keyser, Andrew J. | Keyser, Fleming | Keyser, Keziah | Kimberlin, Joseph | Kincaid, Andrew | Kincaid, Mary C. | Kincaid, Samuel | King, George P. | King, William F. | Kyle, Galbraith | Lemon, Joseph | Lewis, John | Lively, Joseph | Lockhart, Elizabeth | Mallow, John | Mann, Moses H. | Martin, George | Martin, John | Martin, William F. | Mathews, James | McCallister, Thompson |
Meyer, Augustus | Meyers, George | Moon, John | Morter, William | Niceley, Elizabeth | Niceley, Lenis | Nidas, Chapman | Nidas, D. J. |
Pender, Michael | Persinger, A. | Persinger, Henry | Plymale, William | Putnam, Eli | Quickler, Adam | Reece, Emanuel | Robinson, Elizabeth |
Robinson, James F.| Robinson, John S. | Rucker, Francis | Scott, William |
Sevily, Elizabeth | Sheen, William | Schumacker, William | Shell, James |
Shell, Jonathan | Simpson, John | Skeen, Robert Sr. | Smith, Henry | Smith, Jennet |
Smith, John | Smith, John | Steele, Isaac | Stone, John | Stringer, John |
Stull, Daniel | Stull, George Sr. | Stull, James | Tinsley, Bennet | Vance, William |
Ward, John | Warren, James | Weaver, John | Whitten, William | Wiley, Ferdinand | Williamson, David | Wolf, John | Wolf, Abraham | Wolf, Jacob H. | Wolf, Mary Elizabeth | Wolf, Mary
Gumption and Bravery
Genealogy Tips by Jeannette Holland Austin
While it is true that many poor Germans, Scotch, Irish and Swiss settlers crossed the seas to settle a wilderness plain, it took a lot of gumption, and then bravery to fight the battle of freedom. All Indian tribes were not friendly, and made it a practice to steal, massacre and take young girls as slaves. As one settler in the Allegheny Mountains said (in his last will and testament) "My two daughters were stolen by the Indians. If they should ever return, I want them provided for."
Sweet Chalybeate Springs
Sweet Chalybeate Springs (also known as the Red Sweet Springs, Sweet Chalybeate Hotel and Sweet Chalybeate Springs Lodge) is a historic resort hotel complex which was built and developed at the bottom of a small rock bluff. It was built during the 1850s and consists of a main building, guest cottages all fronted with two-level porches. There are a total of eight contributing buildings and one contributing structure. The main building is a gable roof, weather boarded, frame structure 12 bays long and 2 bays deep. Sweet Chalybeate suffered decline and finally closed its doors in 1918.
Candle-Making in the Mountains
During the 17th century candles were used to illuminate homes. The myrtle plant was the most popular owing to the clear light which it gave. The plant grew plentifully in the marshes and swamps and its berries could be gathered in great quantities and converted by boiling into wax.
75 Tornadoes East of the Alleghany Mountains
"Of 600 tornadoes of which has been made in the US, not more than 75 were East of the Allegheny Mountains." Source: The Jones Headlight, Gray's Station, Georgia March 24, 1888.
Clifton Forge was founded during the 1770s and enjoyed prosperity for many years. The Jackson River flows through the town of Clifton Forge in Alleghany County. When the railroad came, it employed many locals. Although Clifton Forge was once a city, in 2001, it surrendered its status and reverted to a town.
Clifton Furnace is an old cold blast charcoal furnace located near Clifton Forge. It was built with large, rough-hewn rectangular stones during 1846 and measured 34 feet square at the base with the sides and face tapering towards the top. The furnace went out of blast in 1854 and revamped in 1874. It was abandoned in 1877.
Alleghany County Wills, Estates, Marriages
Alleghany County is located on the far western edge of Commonwealth of Virginia in the northernmost part of the Roanoke Region and is bordered by the Alleghany Mountains. The county was created in 1822 from parts of Botetourt, Bath and Monroe Counties (now in West Virginia). The county seat is Covington.
One of the oldest bridges in Alleghany County was built during 1857 near Covington. It crosses over Dunlap Creek for 110-feet. However, the bridge was closed to behicular traffic in 1929, due to flooding. Recently, it had repairs and remains open to pedestrians.