1800 Fairfax County Court House
The county court system was established in 1619 in Virginia and it handled such matters as local tax rates, licenses for mills and inns, road construction and repair and a general administration of the government. Eventually, the British Parliament imposed a number of rules and regulations on the colonies, which did everything from charging fines and assessments to vessels entering the harbor to preventing the Dutch from doing business with locals. The early records are quite interesting and worth reading because as they established land boundaries, roads were built by local labor. These old petitions are helpful in locating the actual home places. At first, local affairs were conducted in taverns or "tickler" houses. Fairfax County did not construct its first courthouse until 1742 at a place called "Spring Field" which is near present-day Tysons Corner. By the middle of the 17th century, the city of Alexandria, Virginia established itself as one of the major ports of the region for coastal and ocean-going ships, resulting in a court house to be build in that region during 1752. However, by of November 1789, the county was in need of a new courthouse building. Thus, the legislature in Alexandria, order to encourage and promote more trade and commerce, requested that the court house be placed in the center of Fairfax County. As a result, the court ordered that the sheriff collect thirty-five cents for each taxable person in Fairfax County to pay for its construction. Thus, in May of 1799, William Payne laid out the site and the court ordered that a court house be built which was forty thirty feet "with sixteen feet pitch with a twelve foot Portico, one (jail) forty feet by twenty one clerks office twenty four feet by eighteen and one (jailers) House twenty four feet by eighteen." The jail would have three rooms on the first floor and two on the second, with an addition on the back. The office of the clerk was to be "arched over with Slate or Tile," which can be assumed was for fire protection. There was also to be stocks, a pillory and whipping post. Two men, John Bogue and Mungo Dykes were hired as the contractors. The architect of the building was to be James Wren.
Do the Magic Centipede
Mrs. Jordan's Reluctance to Wed
When the husband of Mrs. Jordan had been dead only three or four days (1623) and Mr. Pooley, fearing that a rival should ask for her hand, requested Captain Isaac Madison to broach a proposal of marriage in his behalf to the widow. At first, Madison declined, saying that he did not wish to "meddle in any such business". However, being a friend of the clergyman, Rev. Greville Pooley, he felt certain that Mrs. Jordan was certain to marry some other man (if she did not marry Pooley), so he yielded. When Madison told the widow of his mission, the lady declared that she would marry Mr. Pooley as anyone else that she knew, however that she did not think it quite decent to act so quickly. When Pooley received his answer, he mustered the courage to visit Mrs. Jordan himself. During the interview, he desired a dram of her, and on her bidding one of the servants to and fetch it, declared very gallantly that he would have prefer her to fetch it. She then went into the next room for the liquor. A verbal contract was then declared with all of the formalities of a marriage ceremony, and the couple drank to the health of one another. He kissed her and exclaimed: "I am thine, and you are mine until death do part us." A few moments later, Mrs. Jordan began to fear lest she should be criticised for remarrying too soon. Pooley, however, protested "before God that he would not reveal" the engagement until she thought "the time fitting." But, being very full of the secret, he soon told it. Mrs. Jordan was so angry that she declined to carry out the contract and told the clergyman "if he had not revealed it, he might have fared ye better." Source: British Colonial Papers, Vol. 1622-3, No. 30.
Surrender of Yorktown
Ash Grove Plantation
Build in 1790 by Bryan Fairfax for his son, Thomas. Ash Grove is an 18th-century plantation house in Fairfax County, Virginia, United States. It is said that the plantation was named after an ancient Fairfax family. Thomas Fairfax later purchased Vaucluse Plantation near Alexandria and deeded Ash Grove to his son, Henry who served as a Captain during the Mexican-American War ana dwas killed on August 14, 1847 at Saltillo, Mexico. Thereafter, the property was purchased by James Sherman on June 20, 1851.
Buzz from the blog....
Home of 8 Genealogy Websites! 700M pages of genealogy! Includes databases in: Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia!
The Washington Farms : Ferry Farm and Mount Vernon
Find your Family Tree
Fairfax County, Virginia Court Genealogy, Wills, Estates, Election RecordsFairfax County was formed in 1742 from the northern part of Prince William County. It was named for Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron (16931781), proprietor of the Northern Neck. The oldest settlements in Fairfax County were located along the Potomac River. Some famous people settled in Fairfax County. George Washington built his home facing the Potomac, Mount Vernon Gunston Hall, the home of George Mason is located nearby. Modern Fort Belvoir is partly located on the estate of Belvoir Manor, built along the Potomac by William Fairfax in 1741. Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron, the only member of the British nobility ever to reside in the colonies, lived at Belvoir before he moved to the Shenandoah Valley. In 1757, the northwestern two-thirds of Fairfax County became Loudoun County. In 1789, part of Fairfax County was ceded to the federal government to form Alexandria County of the District of Columbia. Alexandria County was returned to Virginia in 1846, reduced in size by the secession of the independent city of Alexandria in 1870, and renamed Arlington County in 1920. The Fairfax County town of Falls Church became an independent city in 1948.
Fairfax County Wills, Estates, Marriages available to members of Virginia Pioneers
- Wills 1742-1749 (abstracted)
- Book A-1, 1742 to 1752 (full book)
Images of Fairfax County Wills and Estates, Book A-1, 1742 to 1752
Names of Testators: Arbuthnot, Thomas | Barrats, Thomas | Boash, James | Bond, George Alford | Bount, Thomas | Elroy, Thomas | Fairfax, William | Floyd, Ebenezer | Floyd, John | Guinorson, William | Gunter, William | Kirkland, Richard | Kirkand, Rubard | Littleton, John | McCarty, Davis | Osborn, Robert | Rogers, Elizabeth | Rogers, Richard | Warden, Robert | Williams, Howell | Williams, Thomas | Wilson, Lewis
Images of Fairfax County Wills and Estates, Book B-1, 1752 to 1767
Names of Testators: Adams, Gabriel | Adams, John | Alexander, Garrard | Anbrey, George | Ansley, Thomas | Ashford, John | Ball, John | Barkley, Barbara | Barker, William | Bates, Edward | Basnet, Thomas | Benston, Thomas | Berkley, William | Boling, Joseph | Bozman, Mary | Bozman, Thomas | Brawner, Mary | Brewster, Thomas | Bronaugh, Elizabeth | Bronaugh, Simpha Rosa Ann Field | Bronaugh, Jeremiah | Brooks, Josiah | Brown, James | Brown, John | Butcher, H. | Canterbury, Samuel | Careford, Samuel | Cavener, John | Chapman, Nathaniel | Charlton, Andrew | Cheshire, John | Clapham, Josias | Colvill, John, Colonel | Colvill, John | Colvill, Thomas | Compton, John | Coomes, Catherine | Craig, David | Critcher, Jadirvin | Curry, Barnaby | Davis, Thomas | Debell, John | Dent, George | Donaldson, William | Dulin, Elizabeth | Duling, William |Earpe, Joshua |Evans, Thomas | Evens, John |Fairfax, William |Farguson, John |Fren, Henry | French, Daniel | Garrett,, Edward | Gladen, John | Gladin, Francis | Godfrey, William | Grady, Francis | Grantham, John | Green, Charles | Griffin, Ezekiel | Grimes, William | Gunnel, William | Gunston, John | Hadin, Ann | Hall, John | Halling,, John | Harle, John | Harle, William | Harrison, Thomas | Hawkins, John | Herriford, Jean | Hunter, John | Hurst, James | Irvine, Joseph | Jenkins, John | Jennings, Daniel | Johnston, George | Keen, James | Kent, Richard | Lavins, Joseph | Lewis, Thomas | Linton, Moses | Lloyd, Peter | Maddy, William | Maning, John | Mankin, Jonas | Martin, John | Martin, Nicholas | Masheron, Edward | Mason, Ann | Mason, Charles | Maysey, John | McCarty, Daniel | McCarty, Denis | McKensey, James | Mears, John | Miars, Jacob | Minor, John | Minor, Nicholas | Moseley, William | Moxley, Daniel | Moxley, Richard | Moxley, Thomas | Moxley, William | Nation, William | Neale, Christopher | Nelson, Sarah | Nicholas, George | North, Jeane | North, John | Osborn, Richard | Peake, William | Pearson, Samuel | Perouney, William | Philips, John | Piper, David | Prevton, Robert | Ragen, William | Ramsay, Anthony | Ranes, John | Robinson, Thomas | Rowling, Eliza | Russell, Anthony | Salkeld, Capt. Henry | Salkeld, Henry | Shore, Richard | Simpson, Richard | Simpson, Sarah | Smith, Jacob | Smith, Thomas | Solnot, Henry | Solomon, John | Spence, John | Sybley, John | Terrett, William Henry | Thomas, David | Thomas, William | Tinley, John | Tompson, Prichard | Town, Stephen | Trammell, John | Triplett, Francis | Turley, John | Washington, Lawrence West, Hugh | Wheeler, Rebecca | Wheeler, Richard | Wigginton, Roger | Wilkey, John | Williams, Ezekiel | Williamson, Henry | Williams, Thomas | Williams, William | Wrings, John |
Images of Fairfax County Wills and Estates, Book C-1, 1767 to 1776
Names of Testators: Ashford, Elizabeth | Ball, John | Berkley, William | Boggess, Robert | Bowmaker, James | Bronough, William | Canterbury, Samuel | Carson, Thomas | Castillo, Bridget | Chew, Mercy | Clark, John | Clifton, Eli | Clifton, Elizabeth | Clifton, William | Colvill, Thomas | Cornish, Charles | Cornish, Elizabeth | Crosswaite, Anthony | Darrell, George | Davis, Edward | Dogon, John | Donaldson, James | Donaldson, William | Dowdall, Thomas | Empsel, Joseph | Ferguson, Joshua | French, Daniel | Frizell, William | Gossam, William | Grayson, Benjamin | Grimes, William | Hampton, Mary | Hollinghead, John | Hollis, John | Hollis, John | Hunter, George | Jennings, Daniel | Johnston, George | Johnson, Samuel | Johnston, Hannah | Johnston, Mary | Jones, Robert | Jordan, David | Kent, Benoni | Kent, Richard | King, James | Lackey, Richard | Lamphier, Venus | Layne, William | Lester, William | Lewis, Thomas Sr. | Linton, William | Mankin, Josias | Martin, George | Mason, French | McIntosh, John | Mills, Alexander | Minor, John | Moore, Henry | Moore, Mary | Moore, William | Neal, Daniel | Neale, Christopher | Osborn, Richard | Patterson, John | Prescott, John | Purley, Jane | Reagan, Michael | Rigdon, Edward | Robertson, James | Sanford, Robert | Scott, Thomas | Sebastian, Benjamin | Sebastian, Elizabeth | Sewell, William | Shaw, Jane | Shaw, William | Sheridan, James | Sheridan, John | Simons, Ann | Simpson, Gilbert | Simpson, Richard | Sines, Timothy | Smith, Margery | Thom, William | Thomas, Robert | Thompson, Joseph | Turley, James | Turley, Jane, Mrs. | Turley, Paul | Violet, Edward | Violet, Ewel | Wagoner, Peter | Washington, Lawrence | Watson, John | West, Hugh | Williams, John | Williams,, Owen | Wisheart, Henry | Wren, Thomas | Wright, Abraham | Young, Davis
- Lucas, Thomas, LWT (1791) (Transcript)
- Reagan, Michael, LWT (1750), image
- Reagan, Michael, LWT (1773), image
- Simpson, Gilbert, LWT (1773), image
- Fairfax County Presbyterian Church Marriages
Indexes to Probate Records
- Cashat John
- Lucas, Thomas
- Reagan, Michael
- Simpson, Gilbert
Images of Deeds
- Will Book A-1, 1742 to 1752
- Will Book B-1, 1752 to 1767
- Will Book C-1, 1767 t 1776
Election Poll of 1744
- Deed Book A-1, 1742 to 1746
- Deed Book A-1, 1742 to 1746, Part II
- Index 1742 to 1746
- Index 1746 to 1750
Follow the Special Collections of Virginia Pioneers