King William County Probate Records available to members of Virginia Pioneers
Miscellaneous wills, estates
- Dabney, George, LWT, transcript
- Garlick, Samuel, LWT (Transcript)
Tax Records found with Deeds
- Tax Digiest 1796 to 1812
- Those who paid taxes in 1815
Images of King William County Deeds, Book 5, 1806 to 1810Abraham, Mordecai (bond) | Bagwell, Hickerson | Bagwell, John | Bartholomow to Mill | Bernard, Johnson | Blackwell, Robert | Blackwell, Thomas to Martha Blackwell | Bowles, Thomas to Thomas Smith | Burke, William | Courtney to Lipscomb | Dabney, William to Thomas Elliott | Dandridge, William | Day, Nathaniel | Elliott, Temple, et al | Elliott, Temple, Joseph Hillyard, et al | Evans, Thomas to William Gregory | Fairfax, Thomas | Foster, Blackwell | Fox, Barley | Fox, John and Henry Timberlake | Fox, John to Thomas Redd | Fox, John to William Samuel | Garlick, Samuel | Garlick, Samuel to Robert Hill | Gregory, William, et al | Gwaltney, Richard to Richard Patterson | Gwaltney, Richard and Charlotte | Gwathney, Templeton | Hill, John | Isbell, George | Johnson, Richard and Ann Barber | Johnson, Thomas | Killgard, James | King, John and Polly | King, John and Reuben Dugar | King, John and Polly | Lambeth, Francis | Langhorne, William | Lipscomb | Lipscomb to Lipscomb | Lipscomb, Ambrose | Lipscomb, Madison (bond) | Lipscomb, Samuel | Littlepage, Hardin to Montague Williams | Littlepage, James | Madison, Ambrose | Madison, George to Polly Madison | Madison to Chamberlayne | Madison, Pamela | Mill, John to Eliza Camp | Mitchell, Grany | Mitchell, John | Moore, Thomas | Neale, James to William Newman | Newman, Catharine | Newman, William | Oliver, Benjamin Jr. (bond) | Pemberton, William to James Edwards | Pemberton, Wilson | Quarles, Francis | Quarles, Francis West | Quarles, Isaac | Redd, Robert | Redd, Thomas | Reynolds, John to Thomas Baker | Reynolds, Nathaniel to Thomas Bryant | Roane, John, Hardin Littlepage, et al | Roane, John (bond) | Slaughter, James to Robert Blackwell | Smith, James and Thomas Smith | Taylor, Richard Squire | Thomas, James | Tompkins, Christopher to Templeton Elliott | Watkins, Susannah and William | White, William to Thomas Chamberlayne | Williams, James to Reuben Dugas | Winfrey, Mary | Wyatt, William to John and Robert Pollard | Wyatt, William to Reuben Atkins
Images of Deeds, Book 6, 1811 to 1816 (Grantees): this book survived the court house fire of 1880 and the burnt edges of the pages removedAbrahams, Mordecai | Armstrong, Dudley | Avera , Thomas | Bird , John | Bradberry , John | Brand, Oliver | Browne, Andrew | Burke , William | Burnett , William | Burruss, Samuel | Burwell, Robert | Butler , John | Butler, William and Martha | Chamberlayne, W. D. | Cotterell , William | Crump, Fielding | Dabney, George | Dugar, Francis | Dyson, Manor | Dugar, Muntilyon | Edwards , Thomas | Elliott, Daniel | Elliott, Temple and Robert Hill | Elliott, Thomas and Priscilla | Elliott , William | Evans, Thomas R. | Figg, Benjamin | Fitzhugh, Philip | Foster, John B. | Fox, Nathaniel and Pondall Gregory | Frazer, Alexander | Garnett , John | Garnett, John and Lockey | Gregory , William | Gwathmey, Richard | Gwathmey, Temple | Hewett, Jane | Hill, Richard | Hill, Robert | Hillyard, Nathaniel | Johnson, Philip | Keneday, Alexander | Lewis , John | Lipscomb, Bernard | Lipscomb, Madison and John Quarles | Lipscomb, Yancy and Elizabeth | Lipscomb, Yancy | Littlepage, Edmund | Madison, Reuben | Mitchell, Fleming | Mitchell, Gracey to Wasey | Page, Charles Carter | Pegg, Charles | Quarles, Isaac and George W. Smith | Quarles, Francis, executor of John Quarles | Quarles , John | Robinson, Judith | Roper, Charles | Ruffin , John | Satterwhite, , Thomas | Slaughter, George | Smith, George W. | Spiller, Catharine | Taliaferro , John | Taliaferro, Walker | Talley, Billy | Tanner, Robert | Taylor , John | Temple , William | Terry, Polly | Terry, Stephen | Toler, George | Tompkins, Christopher | Tompkins, Christopher and George Smith | Tuck, Bennett | Wade, Andrew | White, Richard | Winn, Seaton | Wormesley, Eleanor | Wormsley, Walker | Wormsley, Warner
Images of Deeds, Book 7, 1816 to 1819 (Grantees): this book survived the court house fire of 1880 and the burnt edges of the pages removedAbraham, Mordecai Jr. | Alexander, John and Elizabeth | Avera, Ann | Braxton, Carter | Burke, Elizabeth | Burriss, Jacob, estate | Burriss, William T. | Catlett, Benjamin | Claiborne, Herbert | Claiborne, William P. | Cobbitt, Henry | Cook, George | Dabney, Thomas, trustee of John M. Taliaferro | Dugar, James, deceased | Dugar, Mary | Edmonds , John | Fox, Bailey and Sarah | Fox, Thomas R. | Fox, Thomas and John Lumpkin | Garnett , Thomas | Gregory, Thomas W. | Hay, Gibson | Hill, John and Baylor | Howard, James | Jones , Thomas | Jones, William and Jeremiah Fox | King, John and Mary | King, Robert and Daniel Elliott | Knighton , Thomas | Lipscomb, Martin and Ann | Lipscomb, Theodrick | Madison, Elizabeth | McNabb , John | Minor, Garrit | Nelson, Elizabeth | Paterwood, Joseph | Pemberton, Wilson | Quarles, J. | Reins, Richard | Riddock, Jane | Robinson, Beverley | Robinson, B. | Rowe, Joseph | Samuel, Henry | Taliaferro, Walker | Thornton, Elizabeth | Timberlake, Richard G. C. | Tompkins, Christpher Sr. | Winn, Curtis | Wooddy , John
Images of Deeds, Book 8, 1818 to 1822 (Grantees): this book survived the court house fire of 1880 and the burnt edges of the pages removedBraxton, Carter M. | Burch, William | Burke, Edward | Chamberlayne, Lewis | Chamberlayne, Thomas D. and Lodowick Slaughter | Drewry, Robert | Finch, William | Fox, James | Landrum, James and Elizabeth | Lipscomb, Daniel | Mallen, Richard McNabb, John | Mill, Baylor | Newman, Robert | Paine, William | Pollard, a plat | Roane, Newman | Slaughter, Roger | Spiller, Catharine | Spiller, William and Robert Pollard | Stark, Thomas and Isabella | Wicker, Francis
- 1704 Quit Rent Rolls
Online Images of Old Wills and Estates
Names of Families in King William County Genealogy, Wills, Estates, Deeds, Court House Records
King William County, Virginia was created in 1702 from King and Queen County, Virginia and was named after William of Orange, King of England. The court house was built in 1725 and is the oldest court house in continuous use in the United States. The county seat is King William, which includes the metropolitan area of Richmond, Virginia. There was a court house fire in 1880 which apparently destroyed most of the probate records. The only surviving records found are four books of deeds, Nos. 5 through 8. The burnt portions of the pages were cut away and microfilmed. The deeds begin in 1800 and are published to this website.
Virginians brewed peach and apple brandies, described as Virginia drams, however, there were certain restrictions. These brandies were to be sold within the rates laid down for English spirits.
However, permission was granted to keepers of ordinaries to secure as large a profit from the sale of beer as they could make within a limit of four shillings a gallon, or forty pounds of tobacco. This was a very high price in those days. To make things worse, although innkeepers charged at established prices, for many years their accounts were not been pleadable. The right to sue upon these accounts in a court of justice and recover judgment was not granted until 1668. But the requirement was that the action be brought within a year after the debt was contracted. There were so many taverns and tippling houses in the colony during 1668 that the number was reduced in each county to one or two, unless they could accommodate travellers. More were needed at ports, ferries and the crossings of great roads. It seems that every court house was also a drinking-shop! During the high time of the rebellion of Nathaniel Bacon against the local government, many laws were passed (1676) for the purpose of suppressing long-standing abuses, and a legislative attempt was made to enforce what amounted to general prohibition. Thus, the licenses of all inns, alehouses and tippling-houses (except those at James City and at the two great ferries of the York River) were revoked! Source: Hening's Statues, vol. II, p. 113.