Surrender of Lee, Appomattox Court House: April 9, 1865
Restored McLean House
U. S. Grant and Robert E. Lee met in the parlor of the McLean house. After the surrender, the room was stripped of all its furnishings by relic hunters. The McLean farm was originally located near Manassas but had been damanged on July 21, 1861. So Wilmer McLean moved his family to Appomattox Court House to escape the war. But the armies followed him there.
An old photograph of the McLean house, built during the war.